What you should know about SMILE
Understanding minimally invasive, flapless vision correction
SMILE, is an advanced procedure, supporting a comfortable patient experience, minimally invasive and flapless. It has quickly established itself as a gentle treatment option.
A small piece of tissue (lenticule) is created inside the cornea with the laser and removed through a small incision. Minimally invasive means there is minimal corneal tissue intervention. The upper layers of the cornea are unaffected. This offers the potential for preserved biomechanical stability of the eye and faster healing.
As a flapless procedure there are no flap related complications, as a result, corneal sensitivity, for the most part, is quickly recovered. Visual recovery, in general, is fast. Patients can normally return to work, take a shower or apply makeup sooner after surgery than other procedures. Driving and sports activities are possible within a few days.
At a glance
- Minimally invasive and gentle with a small incision
- No flap necessary, thus reducing the risk of infection and incidence of dry eyes
- No pain and mostly comfortable, stress-free patient experience
- Generally fast visual recovery within a few days
- Predominantly excellent visual outcomes with high predictability
- Interesting treatment option also for athletes engaging in contact sports, flight crews, military and rescue personnel
- Odourless and noiseless, laser works silently
All surgical procedures have some possibility of a complication and these are discussed in detail at the time of your consultation.