Dr Brian Harrisberg
MB BCh, FRACS FRANZCO
Dr Brian Harrisberg
Cataract & refractive surgery
diabetic eye disease, general ophthalmology
Dr Brian Harrisberg is one of Australia’s most accomplished and experienced ophthalmologists. He is an expert in the areas of cataract and refractive surgery, having performed thousands of vision correction procedures to date. He is involved in trialling and developing new technology and is a key opinion leader on intraocular lens design.
Dr Harrisberg is internationally recognised and is regularly invited to speak and present research at international conferences within Australia and overseas, He has published multiple research papers in peer-reviewed journals. He is involved in many International multi-centre clinical trials through Chris O’Brien Lifehouse, Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, the Brain & Mind Research Institute as well as Sydney Cancer Centre.
Following completion of his undergraduate medical training in South Africa, Dr Harrisberg emigrated to Australia and completed his medical and surgical residency at Royal Prince Alfred Hospital where he discovered a passion for ophthalmology. He undertook specialty training and became a fellow of the Australasian College of Ophthalmologists (FRANZCO) in 1991.
As a former head of ophthalmology at Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, Brian especially enjoys mentoring ophthalmology registrars and medical students, as well as endocrinology fellows and trainees through their respective colleges and the Royal Prince Alfred Hospital teaching program.
Dr Harrisberg has worked closely with The Diabetes Centre at Royal Prince Alfred Hospital for 30 years, treating complex diabetic eye disease in conjunction with the endocrinologists.
- Medical Retina, Dr Roy Frank Taylor & Prof. Peter McCluskey, Royal Prince Alfred Hospital
- C-LASIK, director Dr Peter Stewart
- C-LASIK, director Dr Stephen Slade
- Radial keratotomy, director Dr J. Charles Casebeer
- First Australian surgeon to implant a sulcus-based intraocular lens
- First Australian surgeon to implant the Schiaroth Macular Lens (SML) for macular degeneration 2018
- Pioneered dual in the bag and sulcus lenses as a primary procedure in Australia
- Set up and trained Fijian ophthalmologists in how to use retinal lasers, specifically in diabetic management
- Head, Department of Ophthalmology, Royal Prince Alfred Hospital 2005-2010
- Founder and Medical Director of Central Sydney Eye Surgeons, Newtown, NSW
- Nature and bird photography (birds.nature.world on Instagram)